"Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader--not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon."

--E.L. Doctorow

Thursday, April 26, 2012

R.I.P April 26th, 2012

She was laying in our red lawn chair, curled up in a grey blanket when it happened.

Her breathing was abnormal.. as if she couldn't breathe at all.. She didn't move.. nor blink.. I had just arrived home from a German Club meeting with news from my father that she wasn't doing well.. and I didn't know what to think.. All I did was walk over to her and pet her head, grooming her soft fur. I stared into her non-blinking eyes, and I could feel a stake wedge itself into my chest. She heaved once in a while, which relieved us in knowing she was still alive.. but we knew it was only a matter of minutes.. I sat on our coffee table as I kept her company while we all waited for my sister to arrive.. When she finally pulled up in her boyfriend's car, and when she walked through our front door, I knew it was time for me to leave her alone--to move from the coffee table to somewhere else, so my sister could have her all to herself.. First, I just walked over to our dining room, watching my sister pet her beloved animal for the last time.. I couldn't take the sight. So, I left the room and meandered about the rest of the house.. but that's when it happened. A few minutes after I had left the room, I heard loud heaving, and then silence..

After the silence came the mourning from my sister.

"Bri.." My father called out to me.. But I already knew.. I already knew what had happened without even having to be there.. I slowly walked down our hallway, hearing my sister's cries grow louder as I approached the living room.. Once there, I saw my mother and my sister huddled by our red lawn chair, crying and petting her..

She was dead.

My heart wrenched, and ached with anger and sadness as I watched my mother hand her to my sister all curled up in the grey blanket..

It's not fair.

I sat down on the coffee table once again, and just stared while my sister rocked her back and forth, wishing for it to not be true.. But it was, and that's life.. Life hurts... Life gives.. then Life takes away.. It has that kind of power.. Power over all of us.. I didn't know what to do as the tears started escaping from my eyes.. I bit my tongue.. but I couldn't bite it hard enough..

What's done, is done.

Finally, my mother and father wrapped our beloved animal up in a blue checkered, wool blanket, and placed her into a box.. She looked so peaceful, and comfy.. as if she were sleeping.. My father closed the box, and duct taped it shut.. And as he did it, I could see the sadness in his eyes.. I could see his eyes glisten from tears that wanted to come out, but he wouldn't let them.. He placed the box on the table, right in front of me. I stared, and reached my hand to it, angered and conflicted.. Without a second thought--I knew my father was going to bury her soon, so I had no time for second thoughts--I went to our kitchen drawer and rummaged through it until I dug up a black sharpie. Without hesitation, I went over to her box, uncapped the marker, and began to write what will always be true, and what I hope she always knew to be true..

"Priscilla--we love you so much. You're such a good kitty.. Goodnight and sweet dreams.. <3"







Priscilla. R.I.P. April 26th, 2012 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment